Friday, February 15, 2013

Does Dieting Advice Confuse You?



Atkins diet, Raw foods Diet, Macrobiotic Diet, Green Smoothies Diet, Plant-based diet, South Beach Diet, Cabbage Soup Diet.... what do all of these "diets" have in common?  

Each comes complete with a resident Expert... usually a Doctor or Nutritionist who claims that he/she has the answer to weight loss.  Sometimes the "expert" is just an ordinary person who found "the answer" based on her own experience.

Have you tried a diet and failed?  If you did, what did you tell yourself?   Did you say, "I'm worthless. Why even bother.  I can't do one thing right.  I can't even stick to one diet." 

When I attended the Institute for Integrative Nutrition to become a Certified Health Coach, I had the opportunity to study over 100 different dietary theories....they joked saying their mission was to confuse us.

I think after each class, I told myself, "That's it!  I"m going ALL raw."  Or... "maybe I should cut out all meat."  (by the way, I am *mostly* vegan now)... or maybe I should go Macrobiotic (lots of cooked foods such as soups and grains).

The reality is though, that we are all different and what works for one person may not work for another.  This concept is called Bio-individuality.  Joshua Rosenthal, the founder of the school likes to say "One person's food is another person's poison."

There is NO ONE DIET THAT WORKS FOR EVERYONE.  Lots of factors are involved.  Are you sensitive to certain foods (without even realizing it) ?   You may be gluten intolerant like I am.  Or, can your body not handle meat very well?  (for the record, I do disagree with the Atkins diet... but I think that fad has faded out anyway).   What about Green Smoothies?  Surely, drinking fruits and vegetables would help me lose weight, right?  Well, not for everyone!  Some people may not be able to handle consuming  "cooling foods" all day (such as raw fruits and vegetables)  Or they may be hypothyroid (again, sometimes without realizing it) and may need to cut back on raw greens such as spinach and kale. 

In fact, even though the word diet, in and of itself is not a bad word (we are ALL on some kind of diet),  in the media sense of the word, let's just THROW OUT the word "Diet".   As a health coach, I am not here to put you on a Diet. 

My goal is to empower you to ENJOY food WITHOUT  restriction.  (Granted, based on sensitivities, there may be foods you need to eliminate, such as some grains)  .  When we restrict food without good cause, we are punishing ourselves. 

Why do we tend to punish ourselves? We don't love ourselves at a soul level.  We have become our own worst enemy and we use food as a tool for punishment. 

So let's throw away the notion that we must find a certain "Diet" to make us happy.  And know that you are NOT a failure if you tried a diet and it backfired. 

Together, we can figure out what works best for YOUR unique body so you can find true, lasting healing! 

Have an awesome weekend!!

Kellie McGarry
www.nourishedandnew.com
____________________________________________________________________________
Free Fitness and Nutrition Classes! Come join other ladies throughout Phoenix for an hour of Fun that will get your heart beating and your spirit Empowered!
Click here: https://www.facebook.com/events/317641128355289/


No comments: