Wednesday, June 13, 2012

"What? Me- shake my booty?? "
 (My Adventure with Zumba!)

I seem to have a re-occurring theme of getting out of my comfort zone lately.  My most recent example is from this past Sunday.  Along with 100 plus people, I participated in a Zumba fundraiser for an instructor who is battling Hodgkin's Lymphoma.   So how was this getting out of my comfort zone?  That was my very first time trying Zumba!  Plus... I am not a natural dancer.  I do like to move to the beat and have pretty good rhythm (stemming from my music background); however, give me kickboxing any day instead! 

I had a LOT of fun though and it was a really great exercise!  I was there for two hours but took a few breaks in between so I think I exercised for an hour total.  This was a HUGE milestone for me as currently all I do for exercise is ride my exercise bike at home 3 times as week.  I don't even break a sweat with that! 

It's funny looking back at my journey.  I remember when my kids were really young- I started a great program called "Stroller Strides" when my youngest was just six WEEKS old... it was a harder work out than the title leads you to believe.  It was like boot camp for new moms.  I remember making a comment to a fellow mom that went something like this: " If I had to choose I would much rather just exercise over eat super healthy."  She agreed with me as did most of the moms there.  Exercise was something we really enjoyed and it seemed like a lot of hard work at the time to eat healthy when all we cared about was getting our kids to eat anything at all, and a good day would be going to the bathroom in peace! 

Today, I have found that I really enjoy eating healthy because I have found what foods work best for me, and I eat simple healthy meals that also taste GOOD!  Yet, since being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, my exercise had fallen by the way-side.  Now that I am feeling so much better, I am slowly getting reacquainted with my old friend.  I am finding I don't have to do the same things I used to do, such as sprinting on the tread mill and lifting weights.  I am finding other forms of exercise that I really enjoy even if I may be making a fool out of myself in the process! lol 

What form of exercise do YOU enjoy the most?  Is there a type of exercise you have always wanted to try but haven't had the courage to go for it yet? 

p.s.- if you live in the Phoenix area, check out Bambi's Fitness Studio ( www.bambisfitness.com)  She has GREAT  deals on Zumba classes and child care! (only 50 cents per child!) 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

was so great to have you with us!