Monday, April 22, 2013

Listening to our Intuition

That moment where you feel you just have to call someone and they tell you they were thinking of you. The time where you just know you have to check on your kids and come to find out they are getting into trouble.  The time where you have that, gnawing feeling in your stomach and you just know you aren't supposed to do  something- to take that job, to move to that city.

This is Intuition.

Do you ever say "I have a gut feeling about this".  That's using your God given intuition.  We all have it, but some of us may listen to our intuition more than others.

There may be times where we ignore our intuition.  I know I have.  I could have saved myself a lot of heartache if I just went with what my gut was telling me.

But our enemy, self-doubt starts to creep  in.... "maybe it won't be so bad after all."  "What am I thinking?  Am I crazy for wanting to change careers?"

We may end up losing out on a great opportunity.

The key is to discern if what you are listening to is truly your intuition or if it's your Ego.  It's always a constant battle.  Recently, I am trying to make a decision that involves my children.  My first thought does make me feel good.... but then all the "what-ifs" creep in.  When it boils down to it, I am afraid of what my kids would think... that's the Ego talking here.

Let me tell you something.  Your Gut NEVER lies. In fact, Deepak Chopra calls your gut your "third brain."

 Listen to your first inclination because that is your intuition.

If you have ANY doubts at all, try to decide if it's something that creeped in after you first heard your gut.  If you wrestle with your decision at all, then maybe it's time to take a step back, breathe, and wait on a different timing.



Listening to your Intuition has to do with Mindful Eating.  When we listen to that voice inside us, we become  aware of what our body is telling us.  Are we really hungry?  Is there something else I am craving? 

This also applies to exercise.  Am I pushing my body beyond it's limits?  Do I need to pay attention to this pain right now?

How can you begin to start listening to your Intuition today?  Spend a few moments in meditation. Take deep breaths. Spend some time in silence, or pray.  Pay attention to the first thought that comes to your mind.

As always, please feel free to share your thoughts about this topic in the comments below!

To your joyous health,

Kellie McGarry
Certified Health Coach
www.nourishedandnew.com

No comments: